Yup, it’s that time of year; back to school time! Whether you’re excited to get back and hit the books or wanting a forever summer, one thing is for sure... just because we’re heading back to school, doesn’t mean we need to neglect all things beauty. Though we may need to pair things back a bit to keep our looks school appropriate, we can still take steps to stay looking and feeling our best.
BACK TO SCHOOL SKIN
Because back to school makeup means keeping things minimal, having a good base is essential. And how do we achieve a good base? That right, our skincare routine. Because back to school time can be a big rush, going back to basics and keeping it simple is the go. Cover the few bases you need. Use a gentle cleanser that will get rid of oil, dirt and debris from your skin without stripping it of its natural oils, leaving it dehydrated. A moisturizer is the next thing you’ll need to keep your skin glowing and radiant. It is a good idea to use a moisturizer rich in hydrating ingredients, such as ceramides and hyaluronic acid. For the mornings before you head to school, a sunscreen with SPF 30+ is essential to keep your skin looking beautiful long-term and preventing hyperpigmentation or sunburn. A clever trick in terms of skincare on the go skincare, is to keep a pack of blotting sheets in the front pocket of your bag to help control shine throughout the day.
BACK TO SCHOOL MAKEUP
Just because you’re headed back to school, it doesn’t mean it’s the time to abandon all of your beautiful makeup. What we need for back-to-school makeup is a look that is quick, easy, and not too OTT. Thus, I present you with the ‘no makeup makeup’ look. This beauty trend focuses on enhancing your natural features without giving the impression that you are wearing makeup in the first place. This look can be easily achieved with a light dusting of a few select products that you should have in your kit anyways. It is also easy to amp things up or tone them down depending on your personal preferences. Here’s our guide to creating the ultimate ‘no makeup makeup’ look:
1. Use a tinted moisturizer or sunscreen to hydrate and protect your skin, whilst providing some light coverage to even out your skin tone.
2. Sparingly dot concealer to help brighten your under eye areas, as well as to cover any blemishes. Keep the amount of product you use minimal and blend it carefully (a damp beauty blender is a good tool for this) to avoid a cakey or heavy appearance.
3. Dust a light layer of setting powder over your t-zone to set your makeup and reduce shine.
4. Add a subtle flush of color to your cheeks, using a natural toned blush. Sweeping a powder blush or dabbing in a cream blush are both great options. Again, keep product use to a minimum – you want to look like you’ve just been for a brisk walk!
5. An optional extra is to add a light coat of mascara to your top lashes, however make sure you avoid any clumping as this will give it away! A gel formula is also preferable as they won’t smudge or run during the day.
6. Finish the look with a tinted lip product for a bit of colour and shine! A lip mask or balm works a treat.
So, whilst we might be saying good-bye to summer and hello to a new school year, we can certainly soften the blow by keeping your beauty game in check! Remember less is more, it’s all about enhancing your natural beauty!