Have you seen the transformative powers of shapewear? By getting that first inner layer right, the clothes that come next fit better and look much more flattering. Primers, sometimes called “base” work in a similar way, creating a smooth, airbrushed canvas for the products to follow. If you’re serious about wanting your makeup to look great and last longer, start with a primer.
Types of primer:
• Mattifying/pore minimising
• Transparent eye primer
• Tinted or colour correcting primers (similar to tinted moisturisers, can be used as an alternative to foundation)
To pick a primer, make a wish list for the results you want and match it to the benefits of the product.
To blur fine lines, minimise the appearance of pores, make skin smooth and keep oil in check, opt for a mattifying primer.
To add hydration, radiance and a “warm and awake” glow, your best choice is an illuminating primer.
To even out your skin tone and address redness or sallow skin, use a colour correcting primer.
Check that your primer and foundation work together. They both need to be oil based or water based. Test them on your hand to make sure. Some primers can “split” your foundation if the formulation is incompatible.
Hints for application:
• Apply moisturiser first, leave to absorb.
• Apply the primer to the back of your hand. You should only need a pea sized amount.
• Apply a thin layer of primer with a makeup sponge, foundation brush or your fingertips, blending in a circular motion. Leave for 5 minutes until it’s completely dry.
• With illuminating primer, add more where you want more glow, like the upper cheekbones.
• Apply your makeup. A mattifying primer should stop it settling into any fine lines and help your makeup stay put all day long, while an illuminating primer provides a glowing canvas for your makeup. For best results, use both formulations in different areas of your face. A mattifying primer is ideal for the t-zone and around the outer corners of the eyes to blur away fine lines. An illuminating primer is great for the cheekbones and under the brows to highlight and open up the eyes.
Love Lizzy XOX